The main founder of the Bristol hotel was Ignacy Jan Paderewski, the famous pianist, composer and also Prime Minister of Poland in 1919. The construction of the hotel started in April 1899 and was finished in April 1900. On the 19th of November 1901 the hotel welcomed its first visitors.
The hotel had eight floors, including a complete basement and four wings. Besides the bedrooms and suites there was also a restaurant, a banquet room, a ball-room, room for private parties, a cafe, shops, a hairdresser, a barber, a photographer and a florist. The bedrooms and suites were furnished in different styles: Gdansk Baroque, Louis XV and XVI, Chippendale, Louis Philippe.
The first Director of the hotel was Tadeusz Jentys, plenipotent of Paderewski. The hotel immediatetly become the best in Warsaw and was patronized by many famous people from the world of politic and music
After Poland regained independence in 1918 Paderewski became the Prime Minister. The first historical session of his Government took place in the Bristol hotel.
In 1928 Tadeusz Jentys, Director of the hotel, sold his shares to the Bank Cukrownictwa (The Sugar Industry Bank), which became the majority shareholder. Paderewski's associations with the Bristol were severed.
During The Second World War many high ranking German officials stayed at the Bristol. In 1944 Hitler gave orders for the city of Warsaw to be destroyed but the Bristol by some stroke of luck was left standing and recognisable - an island in a sea of ruins.
After the war the hotel was soon renovated and opened in 1947. In 1948 the Bristol was nationalised. In 1952 the Bristol was taken over by the "Orbis", State tourist agency, and became a hotel exclusively for visitors from abroad. Much of the hotel was redecorated in the new socialist realism style.
By the Seventies, the hotel Bristol had lost its edge over other Warsaw hotels. In November 1981 the hotel was closed.
In 1991 the hotel was completely renovated and refurnished. On the 17th of April, 1993 the Bristol was officially opened by Sir Dennis and Lady Thatcher.
In 1997 it was ranked 38 in a list of top 100 hotels world-wide.
42/44 Krakowskie Przedmiescie
Telephone 48-22 55 11 000
Fax +48 22 625 25 77